The state-run Anatolia news agency said armored vehicles were being transported to military installations in the south-eastern Sanliurfa province.© REUTERS/ Stringer
ANKARA, June 28 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia Urges Syria, Turkey Against Clashes
- NATO Condemns Syria’s Shoot Down of Turkish Jet
- Turkey Says Syria's Downing of Jet ‘Serious Threat’ to Peace
- Syria Fires at Another Turkish Jet
- EU Condemns Syria’s Downing of Turkish Jet, Urges Probe
Turkey deployed anti-aircraft artillery near its border with Syria on Thursday, amid heightened tensions over the downing of a Turkish warplane by Syrian forces last week, state media reported.
State TV footage showed trucks carrying rocket launchers and missile batteries arriving in the coastal town of Iskenderun, some 50 kilometers from the Syrian border.
The state-run Anatolia news agency said armored vehicles were being transported to military installations in the south-eastern Sanliurfa province.
The deployment comes two days after Turkish Prime Minsiter Tayyip Erdogan said "every military element approaching Turkey from the Syrian border" and deemed threatening would be seen as a military target.
Syria insists it engaged the F-4 Phantom "according to the laws that govern such situations" after it violated its airspace. Turkey says the plane was shot down in international airspace.
Speaking to the Turkish news channel A Haber on Wednesday, Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoebi said his country's forces may have mistaken the Turkish jet for an Israeli one.
An emergency NATO meeting, convened at Turkey's request on Tuesday, condemned the downing of the plane as "unacceptable" and expressed "strong solidarity" with Ankara.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- free_mind50(no title)14:04, 28/06/2012turkey cannot engage in a full blown war with syria, as the unintended consequence, would be the loss of its Kurdish dominated areas, as turkey will be unwittingly provided the mechanism and path for a regional kurdish state.
- PlutardsSyria, the center of all attentions globally.17:24, 28/06/2012The collective psyche of the West has Syria as the main, top priority outstanding all the other conflicts in the Middle-East nowadays. All the eyes of the West go to Syria, practically disregarding Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Pakistan, Afghanistan and so on and so forth.
- bielecMore evidence that the incident was a false flag operation18:04, 28/06/2012This is a completely illogical reaction. Turkey violated the Syrian airspace provoking Syria to respond in self-defence. Now, not Syria but Turkey is using this incident to militarize the border.
It seems that Turkey needed a false pretext to move their army towards Syria. Why?
1. In preparation for a ground invasion?
2. To protect the death squads crossing the border in and out of Syria?
3. To smuggle arms to rebels operating in Syria?
All of these reasons violate international law.
Image Galleries: Traditional Hutsul Wedding in Western Ukraine
Infographics: Jeans: From Classic Designs to Extreme Incarnations
Cartoons: Polar Explorer Day
The growing outright rivalry between the United States and China gives Russia more foreign policy weight, enabling it to assume the role of a balancer. So far it has been doing so rather skillfully. Today it may participate in a joint naval exercise with China that Beijing positions as outwardly anti-American. But tomorrow it can team up with the naval forces of the Old World.